Monday, November 12, 2012

UFC: Macao

I thought I'd give my thoughts on the fights as I watch the main fights. I recoreded the card because I wasn't home to watch it on Saturday night.

Takanori Gomi v. Mac Danzig
Overall: Gomi did enough to win the fight, but it was a close fight. I didn't see a split decision, but I though Gomi was the winner. Danzig looked good though. I wouldn't mind seeing a rematch.


Dong Hyun Kim v. Paulo Thiago
Kim completely dominated and smothered Thiago the entire fight. Thiago was fighting to surive the entire fight and mounted no offense. Kim looked very impressive. I'd like to see him get a top guy in welterweight and get a title shot if he wins that fight. He is a smothering judoka. I like his fight style.


Thiago Silva v. Stanislav Nedkov

Rd 1: Nedkov is a good bit smaller, but he is bringing it to Silva. Not intimidated at all. Very nice exchanges. Nedkov controlled the round. Rd 1 to Nedkov

Rd 2: Cup shot...oww. Nedkov recovered. Nice exchange. Silva using his range. Nedkov pushed Silva against the cage again and controlling the round again and looking for a takedown. Ref broke them up. These guys are brawling, then Nedkov shoots for a takedown and puts pressure on Silva again...and again...Silva's knees to the thigh and leg kicks are nasty...Nedkov drops Silva! Rocked him and nice ground and pound. Rd 2: was close throughout, but Nedkov stole it at the end I think

Rd 3: Came out brawling...throwing the overhand right again, trying to catch Silva again. Back and forth battle on the feet. Silva getting the  better of the battle. Silva with take down and mount. Nedkov looks exhausted. Silva is smothering him on the bottom. Silva with devasting elbows. Locks in Head and Arm choke! Nedkov taps...no longer undefeated.

Great fight. Back and forth battle. Nice submission.


Now to the Main Event!

Cung Lee v. Rich Franklin

This should be an exciting fight. Rich has a large reach advantage, but Lee's kicks are nuts.

Rd 1: Rich feinting a lot. Nice exchanges so far. Lee is an exciting striker. You don't see many strikers now that can use those karate-style kicks effectively in MMA. Franklin landing a bit early. The reach is a huge.....OMG Franklin KTFO! He is just now regaining his senses. What a knock out. Franklin was out before he hit the mat. That was a devasting shot. One of the best KOs I've seen this year.



Overall, I enjoyed the card. The fights were mostly entertaining, especially the last 4...they were great fights. Good job UFC on its history-making China Card.

No comments:

Post a Comment